‘Anti-K-Pop’ YouTube Algorithm Change Applauded by Japanese

The new YouTube chart after algorithm change

**Update: For those of you keeping up with PSY’s Gangnam Style and the YouTube algorithm change, the popularity of PSY’s video was soon restored, despite this Japanese press report. See here for more information.**

The recent YouTube algorithm change made huge waves among Japanese netizens when it was announced on October 12. The change, which involves the formation of search rankings based on how long viewers watch a video rather than the number of times a video link is clicked, has seen netizens welcoming the decision as an ‘anti K-Pop’ strategy.

In particular, the new search algorithm caused Korean rapper PSY’s viral video ‘Gangnam Style’ fall out of the top 100 and into YouTube oblivion, much to the delight of some netizens. However, some have pointed out that YouTube’s recent innovation may result in preferential treatment of longer videos, while shorter videos will not gain much viewer attention since they will not be prominently displayed on the site.

From Livedoor News:

YouTube System Changes, PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ Drops from Number One to Outside the Top 100 Videos, Korean Media Doesn’t Report This

It is understood that YouTube search results have been changed so that rankings are no longer based on the number of reloads but on the time the video was watched.

According to the Korean media site BLOTER.NET, on October 12 Google explained that the algorithm that decides video search results, recommended videos, and related videos, has changed. Until now, the higher the number of views the more prominently a video was displayed, but from now on this will be decided by the amount of time a video is viewed. They explained that the reason that the algorithm was changed:

The YouTube video search system was based on the number of clicks[…] However, recently viewers have become concerned, and this led to a situation where videos with a high number of clicks were given preference over those that were being appreciated enjoyably by viewers.

Due to the system being changed, screens and titles that were made in order to incite more clicks have become fewer, and the content of the video is being focused on. It is also highly likely that this will reduce meaninglessly clicking on links just to increase the click-count.

PSY and the YouTube algorithm

Image Source: NMR

With regards t the number of YouTube views, the music video for the song ‘Gangnam Style‘ sung by Korean singer PSY recently maintained its number one spot. Its click count went over four billion clicks. Various Korean media outlets reporting ‘PSY’s Gangnam Style Breaks Through the Four Billion Mark, Will He Become a YouTube Legend?’, ‘PSY’s Gangnam Style Gets Four Billion Views, A Record in Only 86 Days’ and so on, conveying extensively the fact that ‘Gangnam Style’ had garnered popularity on a global scale.

However, following the system change, ‘Gangnam Style’ has fallen suddenly outside the top 100, not to mention the top 10 (as of 4pm on October 16). At present, it is even unknown as to what rank the video is at.

On the Japanese internet, the point of view regarding this system change is that it is a countermeasure against Korean artists who have extraordinarily high click counts. Certainly, the click counts for music videos published by Korean artists, beginning with ‘Gangnam Style’, are so high that it seems out of place.

The recent YouTube system change has barely been reported in the Korean media. BLOTER.NET, who were the only site to report this, is a digital media site that uploads articles by Korean bloggers researching specialist fields, and the major Korean media outlets, the kind that all reported PSY’s YouTube record, have yet to deal with this at all. While this might seem reasonable, they have also failed to convey the fact that PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ has fallen outside the top 100.

Comments from Itai News:

Posted by   : (Note: A blank means “anonymous”.)

Idiots

Posted by :

Funny

Posted by 名無し:

As I expected

Posted by :

Korean, eh?

Posted by ★★★:

Yup, I knew it.

Posted by   :

Extinct!
Korea can go extinct too wwwww

Posted by   :

Thought so.

Posted by ななし :

I’m more surprised by the fact that the almighty YouTube didn’t have some anti-cheat strategy for this until now.

Posted by あ :

If they’re focusing on viewing time, does this mean that long videos will have an advantage? If they’re too long, we’ll probably get fed up, though.

Posted by   :

There never was any substance to it.
Just like the country it came from.

Posted by   :

Play-time is over, Paks/Parks of Korea.

Posted by   :

So, the day of judgement has come to expose those cheating bastards, eh?

Posted by 名無しさん :

Seems like hits from the same IP address don’t count either.

Posted by   :

This shows up the entire nation, it’s too embarrassing w

Posted by :

This will go down in YouTube history. Hilarious story ww

Posted by   :

Well, X JAPAN’S ART OF LIFE will never ever enter the rankings then.

Posted by :

Can they get rid of the K-Pop genre entirely already?

Posted by 名無しだZさん :

What? What style did you say it was? w

Posted by   :

What’s PSY? Three line explanation, please.

Posted by あ :

World, this is Korea!

Posted by ☆ :

Gundam Style w [a popular Japanese YouTube parody of ‘Gangnam Style’.]

Posted by あはは :

The gooks are so stupid. But the Japanese people who have been fooled and who listen to Gook-pop should be more ashamed. I mean you, you old Korean-wave hags.

Posted by 名無し :

I suppose that they cheat the system in a group by making a script that opens multiple tabs and then reloads every minute w

Posted by :

Still, I won’t accept that fake country. I hope a world exists after death.

Posted by  :

Wah! That’s embarrassing.
Koreans don’t often hate their own country [aren’t likely to be embarrassed by this].
If it was me, I’d be so embarrassed I’d never leave the country.

What do you think? Of the algorithm change? Of how it has affected ‘Gangnam Style’s’ ranking? Does it suggest that ‘Gangnam Style’ was manipulated? That Koreans somehow cheated in making it popular?

Help us maintain a vibrant and dynamic discussion section that is accessible and enjoyable to the majority of our readers. Please review our Comment Policy »
  • http://www.facebook.com/deejaytaufiq Mohamad Taufiq Morshidi

Wow, the vocal minority net-uyokus really do hate Psy huh?

• chucky3176

Minority? They’re the majority of butt hurt Japanese. The responses are pretty much what I’ve read throughout all of Japan’s net forums. By the way, PSY is still number one and his hit counts still climb exponentially even with the latest changes. The biggest manipulators of Youtube counts is actually Japan, where they even have companies that are paid to promote uploaded videos through computer bots. Take the music video of AKB48 for instance. They may have hundred million counts, but looking at the analytics, the vast majority of the counts come from Japan IP’s, with most of the comment replies are made by Japanese. It is really no wonder why Japanese think Psy’s video is a manipulation. They’re so used to faking counts, they think Koreans are doing what Japanese themselves are good at.

• Bluesoju

Do you spend your entire day defending Korea? You’ve seriously gotta be one of the most insecure Koreans on the internet.

• Kate

If you really want to get him riled up just mention Korea and plastic surgery in the same sentence ^_^♥♥♥♥♥

• http://twitter.com/gtt2525see feafaewfwea gafewafe

i see..

• ChuckRamone

Well, even creepier is the people who are neither Japanese nor Korean who get caught up in it. Foreign sickos.

Hmmm a different Chucky ID I suspect….oh well same ole’ Chucky attitude ♥♡♥♡♥

• z42949

FOAD

• ChuckRamone

Chuck Berry and the Ramones. No relation. Not everything that confirms your suspicions is true.

• Kate

Hmmmmm well in that case if you ever followed on Kbang then you would know I was just making a joke about how the kbangers always end up talking.about PS and its always a mini feud over there about it. As far as it being “creepy” why? Is it anymore creepy then a non japanese person commenting on this site or a non chinese commenting on csmack about issues regarding the chinese? And as far as not being Korean myself, well no Im not but my husband and in laws are and my daughter is half Korean and I did live there awhile, so I do have very strong ties to Koreans and the culture.

• ChuckRamone

I’m just used to seeing a lot of trolls on Japan and Korea related articles. And a lot of the trolls are outsiders who have chosen one side over the other. I assumed you were one of them. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

• Kochigachi

same old denial from foreigner who doesn’t know much.

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VictimOfBoredom Matt

Are you Japanese? No? Well then I guess you’re one of those in-denial foreigners who doesn’t know much.

Here’s the difference between koreaBANG and japanCRUSH:

koreaBANG: Full of Koreans talking shit about Japanese.

japanCRUSH: Full of Koreans talking shit about Japanese.

Hmmm, I detect a distinct lack of reciprocity. I wonder why that is…

• Sillian

Most trash talking about Koreans by Japanese netizens is done in Japanese on Japanese websites. Then, there are many English-speaking Korean netizens who can also read Japanese comments. It becomes oogly when they get upset and bring their anger out elsewhere. I know many Asia related sites and I often see the same old posters spamming the same old shit. So it’s not necessarily that there is a whole army of them.

• dk2020

Actually in kbang it seems mostly like expats and only a few Koreans..

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VictimOfBoredom Matt

True, I suppose I was also subconsciously including all the translated netizen comments as well. They just mesh so well with comments by the likes of chucky3176 and Kochigachi.

• dk2020

I think chucky and kochi should have a DDR danceoff to settle things .. or breakdance fighting ..

• Kim

Look son, a weeaboo

• http://twitter.com/gtt2525see feafaewfwea gafewafe

probably

• Kochigachi

Nothing wrong with telling the truth about Japanese.

• Paul M

Chucky logic: A Korean says something bad – that’s just one Korean’s opinion
        A non Korean says something bad – The majority of non Koreans think like this.

• chucky3176

I think it also goes the other way around Paul. If a Korean says something bad or stupid, it’s considered all “Koreans” are saying it. However, if a non Korean says something bad or stupid, it’s just one man’s opinion. Go back and look through all the past threads at Koreabang, I can start quoting all the comments that what I just said is true.

For instance, have a look at the thread here,

with all the Gaijin comments about “you Koreans”, due to what one Korean guy from some vague nationalist organization supposedly said in the Japan press. I don’t know anything about “Korean Wave Research Institute” or Mr. Han who is the leader of this group, yet non-Korean Gaijins are directing their comments as if Mr. Han and his organization is speaking for all Koreans. He nor his organization speaks for all Koreans and he certainly doesn’t speak for me.

Tell you what, I can assure you most Koreans care jack shit about what Japanese think of Psy – whether they like him or not. So who cares? Let’s just agree and say Japanese and Koreans should stay away from each other, since the two nationals dislike each other. That, I can agree with. But it’s fair game online, if they’re talking about Koreans and spreading false rumors.

• Kate

Hey you know Korea and Plastic surgery made international news today again??

Just so you know I actually think the article is complete shit and way off the mark on their statements but just sayin’ THESE kinds of articles are why westeners develol their opinions from

• Weeaboo Syndrome

Japanese should look in the mirror more. They are no different from Koreans and Chinese when it comes to plastic surgery.
            Here’s the article that made the news yesterday:
            [Doctors discuss a face-lift for Japan’s plastic surgery societies]

Cool ty for sharing!

• hf525252s

fuckwit

• chucky3176

On the contrary. I thought It was a very well done article on the eye lid surgery which far outnumbers any other cosmetic procedures by far in Korea. I liked the comments too, about how the grass looks always greener from the other side – which is true. If this was a Japanese paper, the comments would have been 100% disparaging toward Koreans (as yet another confirmation that Japanese are superior and Koreans inferior), 100% guaranteed. Articles like the Dailymail article will drive more non Korean people toward Korean cosmetic surgery clinics. It’s bad enough as it is right now with so many women from Japan and China on Seoul streets, that you can’t go a KM without hearing Chinese or Japanese. Now add to that, all those Koreaphile Western girls stuck on Kpop who want to look like Kpop starlets. More influx of foreign patients will only drive up Korea’s plastic surgery rate even further higher.

But now I know why you’re so obsessed with Korean women and plastic surgery. You’re just jealous because Korean women get all the positive attention, so you can’t stand the competition (wink, and a snotty laugh).

• Kate

For a min, I thought we were going to have a good discussion. I thought the article was bad because it kept restating how Koreans want to look like western movie stars which is just stupid, because I seriously doubt Korean women want toblook like Angeline Jolie. They probably want to look like Kim Tae Hee or Lee Hyori and I found the article incredibly westerncentric and arrogant in that regard. Chucky, most westeneds find korean’s natural features perfectly fine and attractive and the comments on the article were not surprising….look I’ve said before I think Korean women ARE beautiful naturally and I think the PS craze is awful because there is absolutely nothing wrong with their faces before.

Jealous of what? Beautiful women? Fact of life there are always more beautiful people out there. The only attention I care about getting is from my husband and he adores and loves me and we share a beautiful baby girl together and we are happy and have been for years.

• mk59929

GFY

• chucky3176

We do agree with one thing though. Yes it’s ridiculous to claim Korean women want to strive to be like Western stars. LOL.. uh…no… lol. But I really don’t see what all this has to do with the topic at hand.

• Kochigachi

How about posting your facial photo here first before accusing non-westerners for having plastic surgery. I’ll bet you’re just jealous of pretty asian girl.

• Kate

Sure, there that’s my face. I’m not ashamed of my face. Before you go into it, yes I was wearing grey contacts in the first pic, the 2nd is my natural eye color (green).

And you completely misread the conversation between chucky and I. First stsrted as me teasing him about us always arguing over the stupid topic, then showed him a recent article about it that made international news to explain why westeners think koreans get so much surgery because we have big news agencies putting very western centric articles out there about the topic. I am not jealous, I accept the fact that there are more beautiful women always, and yes I think asians are beautiful too. And I wasn’t accusing all asians, I just said plastic surgery is huge in Korea and among Koreans and that’s a fact. Everyone knows Korea is plastic surgery capital of asia. I’m not sayinh anything that isn’t already known and promoted.

• chucky3176

Korea is plastic surgery capital of Asia, because the most popular procedure is the eye lid surgery which is like going to the dentist. And then another reason is because so many Chinese and Japanese come to Korea so that they get to look like Korean stars – which in turn bloats the number of procedures approximately by double.

Here’s the video of that article you posted, on what Britain saw.

Notice the second half of the video, the girl who got her face done is from Japan, and one of the girls who got interviewed in Chinese, is from China. In South Korea, 35% of procedures done in 2009 were by Chinese medical tourists. (NY Times).

The video says at the end of the documentary, more and more Koreans are preferring the natural look over the eye lid surgery look. I think the trend is starting to go the other way now, and that’s I personally prefer in terms of attractiveness. I don’t like the looks of the double eye lids or any of the Caucasion features.

Here’s the woman who’s the host in the documentary, Charlet Duboc, talking about her visit to South Korea.

• Sillian

It’s all about trends that keep changing. I still think the monolid look is promoted the most in Korea out of all Asian media.

• Kate

Yeah I know Korea is known for medical tours among other asians. And I agree with what you wrote about medical tourism bloating figures. If anything its a compliment to the talents of korean surgeons.
            Your last statement of course I disagree with.But that is just personal preferance (I personally am more attracted to asian men then white men and have almost always dated asian guys). It isn’t the racial features that make someone attractive or not, its the individual combination of those features. Just because someone is white, doesn’t make them less attractive then someone who is asian and vice verse. A pretty face in any race is a pretty face. Same with ugly faces. Besides there are so many mixed people in the world, many don’t have exclusively any “racial feature”. I mean I am myself not fully european. I have a large amount of Cherokee indian heritage mixed in with english, welsh, and scott. Heck, my baby is half Korean/half white and looks very much half and half (altho I think she looks like her appa more then me) ^_^♥♥♥♥♥

She is a bunny for halloween this year :) I honestly don’t see much of my face in her face but she is still a cutie :)♥♡♥♡

Cute kid.

Something interesting for everyone here about the KPOP idol boy and girl bands. They’re still relatively popular in Korea, but now this article comes up today and says the trend is just starting to change.

It says the viewers are getting tired of the boy/girl bands, and the direction is clearly towards those who actually have talent, not just the visuals. Guys like Psy… bands like Busker Busker, singers and groups that are well regarded for their singing and music talents.
            The article says the future and the trend is changing towards true talent. A welcome article in my opinion.

Hehehe so cute.

• dk2020

your baby is so adorable kate, most hapa babies are ..

• Kate

Ty ^_^♥ Yeah little halfies are adorables, best features of both races generally……I mean my little one has the most beautiful eyes ever :) She has the asian almond eye shape but with beautiful deep eyelid creases, which make her eyes large coupled with big dark brown pupils….so pretty. Plus she has the beautiful asian olive skin but has light brown hair :) I will have to beat the boys off when she is older grrrrrreee

• dk2020

Yeah, like my niece and nephew are half Dominican/Puerto Rican and they have really big beautiful eyes. I would joke with my noona and say they had triple eyelids ahaha .. ー(*゜▽゜)ゞ⌒☆

• linette lee

There we go again, koreans constantly making lies on the internet blaming chinese and japanese for their high percentage of plastic surgery in south korea. You wonder why chinese and japanese hate these korean liars. Like I said, all you need to do is go to south korea and walk around. See with your own eyes. You will see plastic surgery is strictly a south korea culture. Plastic surgery is not a chinese culture. You know why? Because Chinese people majority of them have big double eyelids round eyes. Our nose are small. Not tall but small. A lot of us chinese have natural oval face. Chinese come in different color. Some are very ghostly pale and some are tan.

Go walk around in the chinese countries and it is next to impossible to find young chinese girls and boys who had plasty done. There is no need to.

• TheKorean

It doesn’t leave the fact that droves of Chinese and Japanese come to South Korea to do plastic surgery, to be like Koreans. I live here and I know and seen tons of them. As for North Koreans, you don’t see them doing plastic surgery, and its rare but North Korean girls are beautiful to many South Korean men.

• kiriyama_5558

here’s hoping you end up in the ICU very soon

• Fire

oh @disqus_3ntu2nOx6o:disqus your angelic face makes my sinner’s heart beat. Forbidden apples are so delicious. I will burn from afar.

• dk2020

@Kochigachi:disqus how about posting your facial photo here first before you ask other people to post their facial photo .. byungshin ssibaloma.

• linette lee

How can you blame those old ugly japan and china women want to look just like those plastic people on kpop? These old women close to 40 see what plasty can do for all these kpop plastic people. They want the same because they are losing their youth.

And the western people why would they want to look like plastic kpop people. Double eyelids big eyes, tall nose, narrow face, and white skin are their natural western look. They don’t need plasty to achieve that. Only natural koreans with their natural face monoeyelids small eyes like two lines on their face, pig nose, square huge face, brown skin, and huge head…..would need plasty to achieve that plastic kpop look.

korean celebrities all had plasty to get small face.

• chucky3176

Sorry linette, but I think Chinese people squat, dark, with big honking pancake nose that rivals the gorilla, and are pretty ugly. Not only that, your ugly stupid sounding language that everyone makes fun of, is also a huge turn off. Even with plastic surgery, it doesn’t help them. Plastic surgery is not magic, you need to have at least a basic features that are enhanceable, for you to turn beautiful with surgery help. For instance, you’re both ugly inside and outside. Even a best surgeon in the world could not help you. Just my opinion, kiddo, so don’t get offended.

China tries to curb out of control plastic surgery rage amongst Chinese youth.

Notice how they try to copy Korean fashion, but it’s not really working. It looks like an uncoordinated clumsy cheap copy cat attempt, like most of their fake products.

• linette lee

squat, dark, with big honking pancake nose that rivals the gorilla,…are the typical look of koreans before double eyelids, nose job, cheek/jaw bone reduction, and skin bleaching plastic surgery.

I agree with you. You need to at least have something to work with. The koreans are naturally pretty ugly. Nose job alone is not enough. They all need the complete eyes,nose,cheek/jaw bones, skin plasty package, in order to be “lookable” Except after that they all look like clones. And their ugly whining language is not helping. They are just naturally ugly from the inside out. No wonder most of the korean parents start their kids on plasty as young as 12. Like you said is just like sending them to a dentist.

Chinese look like this after plasty. A clone of this on TV.

No offense there chucky. I am just pointing out the truth about your korean plasty culture. I suggest you to stop dragging and blaming Chinese for your korean high % of plasty in your population. Stop spreading lies on every forum about Chinese. No need to continue on this non sense. Go see a psychologist about your inferior complex.

• dk2020
          • Kochigachi

Actually, Koreans are cool on plastic surgery it’s only Japanese who are really ashamed on their own gene. Funny westerners talking about plastic surgery when plastic surgery originated by westerners themselves.

• linette lee

Kate..you know no matter how we keep explaining to the koreans that eyelids, nose jobs, skin bleaching, jaw and cheek bones reduction to oval face…are all considered plastic surgery, the koreans will just keep telling you those are minor adjustment. Therefore, can’t be considered ps. They will keep insisting that natural koreans have big double eyelids eyes and oval face with white skin. hahahhaahahhahahA LOL………

It’s like we go do our nails in nail salon during lunch time, the koreans go get eye surgery. We get haircut every month, the koreans get skin bleached.

And don’t even talk about the percentage of plasty in korea. The koreans will tell you the reason is so high is because the Chinese tourist. The korea media even do shows about old ugly chinese women tourist causing the % to be so high. LMAO.. They just love to drag Chinese and Japs into all their nonsense. All you need to do is go to south korea and walk around. 80% of the young koreans starting as young as 14 yr old already had some kind of plasty done already. Then you go walk around in japan and other chinese countries. You won’t be able to easily find people with plasty. It’s pretty hard.

• Sillian

This troll is on a mission. What a pathetic life.

• linette lee

Maybe the koreans should stop dragging the Chinese into their plastic surgery nonsense keep blaming Chinese for their high numbers of plasty. The truth is the Chinese don’t care about koreans until they keep spreading lies on the internet about Chinese trying to follow their korean plasty culture. These online koreans troll spreading lies and their korean media creating all these lies blaming Chinese is pretty pathetic. I have like hundreds of young chinese friends and absolutely zero of them have any form of plastic surgery done. I do know a few old 40 something yr old chinese women got plasty done like face lift and eyes, but they are old.

Meanwhile I only know a few koreans and two of them told me they got their eyes done. Getting plastic eye surgery is like dying their hair for them. Very common.

Tell all these korean trolls stop spreading lies. I don’t understand why they are so obsessed with the chinese all the time.

• dk2020

TROLOLOLOL .. Ni hao ma? I think East Asians should be more united, instead of stupid beefs about little rock islands that don’t matter. Where I grew up in L.A., I have many Chinese, Viet, Filipino, and Japanese friends we can all relate because we’re Asian American .. we laugh about how petty and idiotic the rivalry is in East Asia.

• Sillian

Ok, linette lee, it seems like you’ve read some bad comments and got defensive and even become a troll yourself. However, it is true that Chinese patients account for the majority of the foreign medical tourists for plastic surgery in Korea. It could sound like ‘blaming’ to you but it is a mundane fact that a drove of medical tourists who are precious customers inflate the number of procedures done in Korea. The number is already on the high side and it gets even higher. Look, Chinese population is gigantic. Even 1% of 1.3 billions is still 13 millions. Nobody’s saying most Chinese people are plastic or anything like that so do not misunderstand. China is next to Korea and Korean plastic clinics have been doing ads in China. Many Chinese people know Korea has advanced clinics. Bigger Korean clinics even have translators. Also, as Chinese people are getting richer, their domestic plastic surgery industry is getting bigger, too. If you compare Shanghai and some rural town, you will find a big disparity, of course.

• linette lee

You forget to mention the numbers created by south koreans and their public media are completely lies and false too. Because majority of the south koreans go to non licensed plastic surgery clinic and the ones that pay cash….often do not get reported and add onto your so called percentage. Meanwhile the tourists all of them only go to licensed clinic.

• Sillian

You keep saying lies lies lies but your argument depends on your personal impression and opinion. The majority of Koreans go to non-licensed clinics? Why would they? What supports that idea?

• Kate

Note to self: Never ever bring PS topic up ever again, even teasingly…….****backs away slowly******* 0_o

• chucky3176

On the contrary, you will bring it up because I think you enjoy the bashing Koreans get over this. Knowing full well the Chinese and Japanese jealous rage towards little Korea that’s punching above its weight in the spreading of its soft power throughout Asia, I know it will always become a focal point for the Chinese and Japanese when discussing Koreans.

Here’s a question, why is it that China and Japan don’t have their own Gangnam Style?

• Kate

Well no I actually meant to just tease you for fun……didnt anticipate the full on rageing from everyone else…….and to answer your question….ummmmmmmm because they are more focused on anime tentacle rape porn and sushi?

• linette lee

…………..why is it that China and Japan don’t have their own Gangnam Style?……………..

Because China and Japan didn’t plagiarize LMFAO Everyday I’m shufflin…..

LOL…

And no Sillian, Kate doesn’t need chucky’s number to talk to him. She just need to go here to chat with the KOreans.

• dk2020

Well at least PSY is a step up from William Hung, that guy was embarrassing, I heard he works in China now .. I don’t like the Gangnam Style song either but if other people enjoy it then I respect that ..

• dk2020

these memes are hilarious..

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VictimOfBoredom Matt

Do you Imgur? If not, you should…

• Sillian

No wonder why it’s always the same crew. However, do not become a troll yourself. You know you sound equally stupid.

• Sillian

Maybe you should get chucky’s number and talk to him in private. xD Seriously it’s one of the topics that trolls love to abuse.

• chucky3176

Perhaps because that’s what most Chinese would do in China. There maybe some unscrupulous plastic surgery clinics in Korea, but they’re not nearly as bad and widespread as in China.

• lonetrey / Dan

-sigh- When did you become so offensive? I remember a nice, cool Linette. :(

• http://twitter.com/RedHotRussia Augis Barkov

Did you change your mind to propose to linette? :)

• lonetrey / Dan

lol I’m sure she’s a nice enough lady to marry. Though, she is scaring me a little.

• elizabeth

She was the one who said ‘no’ and he backed off. Then she was disappointed because he was so clueless :D

• TheKorean

LOL Koreans get beached skin? WTF? Yea, Chinese are slant eyes with pig nose and Japs who look like monkeys tries to be Korean. Don’t be jealous of us, we don’t give a rat’s ass about your people.

• Kochigachi

Sorry Koreans don’t do skin bleaching like Chinese and Japanese do. Don’t drag Korean into Chinese discussion coz you Chinese are actually mixed people with full of SE Asian bloods. Koreans are pure East asian. Plastic surgery under 17 yrs old is actually banned in Korea due to health risk and according to Times magazine it’s Japanese are commits to kids into plastic surgery, The photos you’ve just posted are known to be fake probably distorted by Japanese. Chinese trust Japanese source more than Japanese source which is down right shame.

• Kai

You’re right that it goes both ways. There are people on “both sides” being irresponsible with their remarks. But since you know this, shouldn’t you try to rise above it instead of contributing to it? Fighting fire with fire might be satisfying in the short-term but having the moral high-ground is ultimately more valuable in the eyes of people who might actually think instead of just react.

• Paul M

So then if you agree that taking one persons comment as representative of the majority is wrong, then why the hell did you do so in your fist post here?

• Kochigachi

Trust me, that’s your logic not mine.

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

Can you not use ninja which is a symbol of Japan as your picture? Stick to kimchi and plastic surgery.

• kiriyama_5558

wanker

• nipkilla595929952

Isn’t the internet great. It allows shitheads like yourself to say shit that would, in real life

get your head cracked open.

Hopefully you’ll suffer the same fate fucking cunt.

Please turn to the loaded gun in your drawer, put it in your mouth, and pull the trigger,

blowing your brains out. You’ll be doing the whole world a favor. Shitbag.

I would love to smash your face in until it no longer resembled anything human, faggot.

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a

garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a

pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach

sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped

out of their sockets. Fucking bitch

I would love to kick you hard in the face, breaking it. Then I’d cut

your stomach open with a chainsaw, exposing your intestines. Then I’d

cut your windpipe in two with a boxcutter.

Hopefully you’ll get what’s coming to you. Fucking bitch

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It’d be hilarious to see you

begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,

leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain. Faggot

Shut the fuck up f aggot, before you get your face bashed in and cut

to ribbons, and your throat slit.

You are dead if I ever meet you in real life, fucker. I will fucking

kill you.

I would love to fucking send your fucking useless ass to the

hospital in intensive care, fighting for your worthless life.

I wish you a truly painful, bloody, gory, and agonizing death, cunt

• Sillian

Another post that needs moderation here.

• Kai

In the future, please flag a comment as inappropriate instead of commenting under it. We’ll be able to deal with it sooner than only discovering it when we see your comment.

• Sillian

Thanks. I just found that option.

• besudesu

This is completely unacceptable. I can only conclude that you lack the basic intelligence of most animals.

• Sillian

To be fair, you should say they are the majority of the Japanese netizens who commented about this, not the Japanese in general. Those who don’t care don’t bother writing comments while the fervent haters take their dump out everywhere. When haters and defenders balance it out, it all becomes interesting but on Japanese sites, it is expected that Korea bashers greatly outnumber the other side no matter how ridiculous the bashers are.

• Fire

dari mas?

• elizabeth

Well, Gangnam style made it to the charts. But I suppose the Japanese can claim they did it first with Sukiyaki.

Funny, this a love/hate triangle – Japan, Korea and China…

• http://www.facebook.com/deejaytaufiq Mohamad Taufiq Morshidi

So you’re saying that Japan, China and Korea are “tsundere” for each other?

• elizabeth

Lol! Interesting term :)

• bigwin80

I don’t get what they’re babbling bout.

The songs still number 1 on youtube by quite a margin.

• linette lee

The whole world knows koreans are famous for clicking. They see an internet link they will keep clicking on it like million times just to get the number up. So funny. How else they have such a high view count on youtube but still not famous at all around the world. These kpop don’t make half as much money as usa and chinese singers.

• Sillian

What a butthurt attempt. It’s even hard to be wrong on every single level. I’m very certain that any mildly-informed person would think you must be joking or on crack. Do you even know how views go up on YouTube?

‘Not famous at all around the world’

Yeah, Psy is totally not famous.
        Typical frog-in-a-well syndrome. I won’t even bother killing each sentence of yours. Your posting history tells me you are a complete troll.

• Kochigachi

You sound just like right wing Japanese, I won’t be surprised if you’re using Lee as fake name. On contrary, I think you’re big time loser probably island Chinese aka Taiwanese. Chinese singers? who? U.S is world’s No.1 music market and Japan is 2nd but China? lmao never heard of Chinese singers

• http://www.kpopmusicnews.com/ KpopMusicNews

Kpop is still very huge in Japan, the latest Big Bang concert was sold out really fast!

• Kochigachi

Not really, it’s Jpoop sang by Korean.

• chucky3176

Most of the fan of that are Japanese women who fantisize about sleeping with one of those boys. It’s the Japanese men who are the haters on the internet and on street protests. lol.

• arnuxii

youtube changed it back and now there are two versions of Gangnam style at the top of the charts. But kpop is much more popular than jpop anyway

• Cleo
    • royaljester

Now you’re spamming your troll posts across stories. Get original with your trolling.

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VictimOfBoredom Matt

1. It makes sense from a technical standpoint. If this is truly measuring the amount of time a video is being watched, rather than merely the duration of a video, then it’ll account for videos that people click on but don’t end up actually watching (either because it sucks, or because they’re just trying to increase its views).

2. I’m still amazed by the fact that some people have nothing better to do than just keep refreshing a pop artist’s YouTube videos. This algorithm change wouldn’t specifically affect k-pop videos if k-pop junkies weren’t such crazy, obsessed lunatics…

• Kai

People manually clicking is probably the minority in these cases. There probably are some Korean fans who are doing that for said reasons, but you also have Japanese otaku buying thousands of copies of their favorite idol’s latest CD or something in order to boost their rankings or returns. Fanaticism is fanaticism. Most actual click or view inflation is automated with computer software. Same thing happens with Chinese video sites.

• chucky3176

Youtube, the way it counts, is difficult to manipulate because they do a good thorough job of counting where and how they are being clicked. F5’s can’t do it, you can try and see for yourself, and computer bots can’t do it because I’m sure the Youtube count manager will be alerted if the views come from same IP’s. Watch the video of the interview by the Youtube spokeman posted by Sillan above.

• Sillian

Those Japanese netizens are fixated on Psy because he’s Korean but afaik several other videos dropped out of the chart temporarily and came back too. YouTube’s internal affair. Also, simply refreshing the page doesn’t increase the views. YouTube takes views very seriously. They use some sophisticated algorithm to count legitimate views. Watch this insider’s commentary.

• Ruaraidh

What’s funny is that despite all this antipathy, who’s more similar to the Japanese than the Koreans? From the outside it’s just people who look the same and act pretty much the same calling each other names. Face really does make people act in strange ways.

• Kochigachi

No, Japanese and Koreans are not same people.

• Winterbitten

It should be pretty obvious he’s talking about the way and how people generalize, rather than making a statement that Japanese and Koreans are the same.

• chucky3176

You are wrong. Koreans are Koreans, Japanese are Japanese. We are not similar.

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VictimOfBoredom Matt

Yeah, but that’s not really unique to them. The same could be said of Indians and Pakistanis, Indonesians and Malaysians, Americans and Brits, Americans and Canadians, Americans and Russians, white supremacists and Ashkenazi (European) Jews, Sephardi Jews and Arabs, Tutsis and Hutus, etc.

• CherryB

those japs look pressed. lol
    i wonder how did they feel when they see psy came back in #1 and #3 most viewed videos in youtube. haha

• Lovely

i don’t understand why koreans would be embarrassed. For one, psy’s video is still being viewed by 300 Million people, whether they watch half or whole, they still sought him out. so why would they be embarrassed? They are seriously hating on the koreans. Why? If my country was cruel enough to invade its neighbors, preach and practice racial superiority, forced the women of another country to have comfort women, and and practiced other barbaric actions, I would be too embarrassed to leave the country…i’m looking at you, Japan!

• Kochigachi

Japanese believes Koreans should be begging for their life on their knees front of their samurai sword – that’s what i called it big inferior complexity.

• Sillian

You sound like a broken record. Save the chorus. If you keep overgeneralizing the entire people like that, you ain’t better than the ones you hate.

• Kochigachi

Nop, I’m not generalizing, Japanese are like that in real life just they hide their real feeling because they’re cowards.

• Sillian

You are insulting my Japanese friends in rl too. You have no right to do that. Every single comment of yours is so crude and carries very little intellectual insight. Drop it already.

• Kim

Japan’s mindset is still that of a feudal empire oppressing their neighbors. The Japanese are vile and cruel. Jap-man lie. Jap-man kill. They are as different from us than any other peoples on this planet. Their weapons are modern, their thinking: 1200 years out of date.

Yea yea troll.

I wonder what the general moderation policy is like here. Probably moderators here are intentionally lax compared to other forums but we should remember that even a couple of returning trolls can shit on the whole comment section ruining it for everyone.

• http://mykafkaesquelife.blogspot.com/ My Kafkaesque Life

Just how long is it fair to keep using the pre WWII atrocities as arguments to bash each other online, be it Koreans Japanese or Japanese Koreans? Your argument is just the same as what the Japanese say in their comments above. How can there ever be peace between the peoples, if we continue this way? And it’s not that South Korea has treated its people any better. You could mention the 1950 Bodo League Massacre, where at least 100.000 Koreans were slaughtered by their own government. Up until 1987 South Korea was in fact authoritarian. In 1980 in the so called Gwangju Massacre around 2000 people were killed. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. Why is this not as passionately discussed as comfort women or invasions? Weren’t this barbaric actions as well? Didn’t they happen much more recently? Lots of stuff is thrown at Japanese, but who killed and oppressed own people in the past 60 years? Japan is often used as distraction to divert attention from inner politics in China and the Koreas. Meanwhile, freedom of speech is deteriorating in South Korea http://ow.ly/eMERi You can land in jail because of a tweet. I think these things would be much more important to discuss, as they related to today’s generation.

• Sillian

Hiro, I think you should add to the article that the videos came back to the chart within a day.

• chucky3176

I think this Psy’s video, and host of other videos which were taken off the ranking, which no-one bothered to question their count validity, were temporarily taken off, until the new Youtube algorithm programs rescanned the logs and did a re-count to make sure they really are legit. Unfortunately for Japanese netizens, the count still came back with Psy at the top. Not only that, another different Psy video got moved up to third position unexpectedly. This is obviously pissing off a lot of people with all the silly accusations going back and forth. But I do notice one funny thing. One of the Japanese jpop group AKB48 video that recorded millions of views a week ago, has completely been dropped off the count, with their counter reset after the new algorithm went into effect. lol…

• GuilleKnows

My friend, you have no brain. The video keeps the most of their views because of the rule itself, it’s not a retroactive rule. You Koreans are sad, man, always inventing shit against and between others.
        Hey, stupid, just in case: NO, I’m not Japanese and I don’t care about the effect this comment may cause on you, you can shit yourself and I suggest you not to waste your time writing anything to me, just use your brain and think about how sadly brainwashed you, your parents are and about the pathetic future your kids will find thanks to you.

• besudesu

That’s a good point Sillian, and Japanese netizens have also pointed that out since.

• Fire

There are good and bad in this, while some artistic video may last less than five minutes, it may not become popular because its short. While some video that leads and build up quite slow might become popular just because its long. By amount of click is better, long doesnt always mean quality. Anti-K-pop? Korea huggers are afraid that their favourite boy/girl group will no longer be popular?

Once a wise man said ‘everything popular is wrong’

• Fire

Ah the green colour, so…. lemony

• Bluesoju

Lemons are yellow >.<

• Kate

I think he is thinking limes….limes are green, lemons are yellow.

• elizabeth

Unripe ones are green.

• Fire

A keen observation

• elizabeth

If my song has hit the charts internationally, I wouldn’t care about Youtube ‘rankings’. It’s for those who would like to be scouted/discovered, not those who have already attained international success. A little extra publicity doesn’t kill though.

• ChuckRamone

Let’s see, Japan is twice the size of Korea and has twice as many people. Japan is richer, has more cultural influence, and is not divided in half. Yet you have these pathetic whiners on the Internet complaining about a video for a stupid pop song. Get over yourselves, Japan. You got bigger problems to deal with regarding China.

• rainy days

Well said,ChuckRamone.But Most of Japanese ppl don’t care about Korea.
      Those idiot comments are netuyo……It can’t be helped.

• Cleo

Did Korean hackers FABRICATE last night’s Gangnam style shoutouts on South Park too?

• Ruaraidh

I think South Park was taking the piss out of bandwagon jumping, rather than giving Gangnam Style a shoutout per se.

• Kochigachi

We all knew about this right? Japanese have been using Youtube and other social networking site to degrade image of Korean. Japanese are master at using social media as platform for their propaganda and so far it’s proven to be failure since we all find out later.

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

Dude, I dont see any Japanese nationalist on Koreabang. I see tons of Korean nationalists on JapanCrush such as yourself spewing bullshit..FO

• kiriyama_5558

cupid stunt

• Sillian

Just stop making dumb comments like this altogether. You generalize, generalize and generalize. What do you want? Pointless cheap shots back and forth?

• dim mak

Wha? Kpop is shit
    Then again Jpop is even more shit

What’s wrong with kids these days

• himchansdick

I love Japanese music, I loved it before kpop. But the way I see it, the only reason Japanese netizens and such are against kpop is because J-music is no longer popular as it was before both in and out of Japan. The Japanese are far too prideful and need to settle down.

• Whirly Pop

because they don’t really try to promote it outside anyway. it’s hard to even find a jpop mv in youtube cause it’s blocked or sth

• dk2020

It might sound cheesy but I believe in love .. I need faith in humanity to keep living, hoping for a better future for my kids. The Korean and Japanese peoples have histories and cultures that is intertwined, I believe we came from the same ancestors .. The largest ethnic minority in Japan are zainichi including North Koreans. I really want peace between Korea and Japan.

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

I used to think like that until I found out that Koreans are not willing to cooperate. They have issues.

• dk2020

What do you say to mixed Korean-Japanese kids? I have a couple friends that are .. what is ironic there are plenty of Korean-Japanese couples in both countries.

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

There is nothing that Koreans can offer us except for some plastic Kpop girls. Koreans do not know their own history. Their culture is basically Japanese copy.

• kiriyama_5558

foad, thx

• nipkilla959599

get your head cracked open.

Hopefully you’ll suffer the same fate fucking cunt.

blowing your brains out. You’ll be doing the whole world a favor. Shitbag.

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a

garbage compactor, by getting your face cut to ribbons with a

pocketknife, your head cracked open with a baseball bat, your stomach

sliced open and your entrails spilled out, and your eyeballs ripped

out of their sockets. Fucking bitch

I would love to kick you hard in the face, breaking it. Then I’d cut

your stomach open with a chainsaw, exposing your intestines. Then I’d

cut your windpipe in two with a boxcutter.

Hopefully you’ll get what’s coming to you. Fucking bitch

I really hope that you get curb-stomped. It’d be hilarious to see you

begging for help, and then someone stomps on the back of your head,

leaving you to die in horrible, agonizing pain. Faggot

Shut the fuck up f aggot, before you get your face bashed in and cut

to ribbons, and your throat slit.

You are dead if I ever meet you in real life, fucker. I will fucking

kill you.

I would love to fucking send your fucking useless ass to the

hospital in intensive care, fighting for your worthless life.

I wish you a truly painful, bloody, gory, and agonizing death, cunt

• Sillian

What the….I think moderators should step in here.

• besudesu

Noted. Thanks for the heads up, Sillian. The comments were were completely unacceptable.

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

nice user name idiot….not! get a life

• fii5929592

hope you end up with your brains splattered everywhere

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

this is how Korean people react.. lol…. real sensibly hahahah..not
            The whole world should know you guys are loonies..

• TheKorean

Yea, like Japan offers jap cartoons and hentai to the world. LOL

• Sillian

You should drop this shtick too if you want to encourage intellectual debates, not some mindless troll wars.

Japanese talent vs Korean talent

Here’s a video that shows how far the gap there is between Jpop and Kpop.

This is Japan’s SMAP singing along with Mariah Carie. That was totally embarrassing. Then watch how it’s really supposed to be done by Korea’s 2N1E singing with Will and I.

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

LOL J-pop is marketed towards Japan but Kpop is marketed towards the world. They are both poop

• http://twitter.com/FinalWorldAkira Akira

No one in Japan cares for Gundam style. He is just a fat old guy wanting to be a pop star. Why are there so many kimchi trolls on here?? Why is it that kimchis always bother with us Japanese. LEAVE US ALONE. WE DONT LIKE YOU!!!

• besudesu

‘Gundam style’ was a Japanese parody of ‘Gangnam style’….

• expatrick

Kpop is just a ripoff of outdated American music from 10 yrs ago. They have no originality whatsoever and are just copying American pop. Then Again, JPop is for pedophiles who enjoy listening to the same talentless voices over and over again.

• Eidolon

The funny thing in these comments is people thinking that chucky and kochigachi are trolls, when they are completely serious in everything they say. Of course, to know that you have to first understand that kochigachi is a pseudonym of Koreansentry founder and administrator consoleman, and that chucky is his foremost moderator and forum regular. They have been at it for years, and are in no way trolling.

• tanaka Kimura

Japan is the only country in the world who recognise youtube counting policy change as anti kpop. If japan keep isolated from the rest of the world in terms of culture, I dont see the bright future from japan.

• d. blige

I don’t understand. Diffrent people got diffrent interest. u don’t have to bash neither kpop or jpop. this is just silly .

• http://pimpmyviews.com/ Buy Youtube Views

Nice post…this post very effective about the youtube algorithm..thanks for sharing this..

• http://www.pimpmyviews.com/ Buy Youtube Views

Hi, I read such kind of post for first time and Its really nice to have such one….

• J F

But, but….japanese don’t use youtube. They have already their shitty nico nico. They isolate in that place made by japanese freaks.

Then, why do they care about youtube?….it may be because it’s korea the thing we are talking about.

• J F

But, but….japanese don’t use youtube. They already have their
    shitty nico nico. They isolate themselves in that place made by japanese freaks.

• viri

J-pop not exist in youtube -.-

Personals @ chinaSMACK - Meet people, make friends, find lovers? Don't be so serious!»